Epoxy resin casting is the ultimate process to yield beautiful resin products out of creativity. To make a masterpiece of the same, polishing is one of the best ways.
It multiplies the beauty of the final product by adding extra shine accompanying hiding all of its scars. While polishing your epoxy resin may be the best thing you have decided in the goodwill of your epoxy resin.
But deep within, you might be concerned about whether you can actually polish epoxy resin! To your note, this process is the best way to make the epoxy resin extra graceful.
Whether or not you trust it wholeheartedly but polishing the epoxy resin may have several benefits over not polishing it. Well, this is the place you reached out right for your query to be answered.
This article is intended to bring out some of the best ways to polish epoxy resin so that your epoxy resin cannot miss any chance to shine.
Table of Contents
What are the benefits of polishing epoxy resin?
When I came across the concept of polishing my epoxy resin, I couldn’t hold back from appreciating the process and letting everyone else know about the same.
Polishing epoxy resin is the best way to make the casting return to its original and glowing new-like state.
Polishing epoxy resin is suitable in several ways-
1. Make the extra surface shiny.
2. Acts as a protective shield to prevent the surface from immediate and direct cracks and scratches.
3. Fills the gaps.
4. Hides any scratches and damages with the most delicate coat.
5. Enhance the overall appearance of the casting.
How can you polish epoxy resin –
When looking for the best way to polish your epoxy resin, you should know all the methods by which you can actually polish your epoxy resin.
Although polishing epoxy resin isn’t any royal process, fortunately, there are multiple ways to do so. This offers a wide range of choices for polishing the resin and opens the door to the kind of polish you can use for epoxy resin.
Luckily, polishing is a straightforward process that starts with cleansing and sanding and ends with the final and main stage of actually polishing it.
Two Means to Polish epoxy resin –
You can polish your epoxy resin by the following means-
1. Using machine – Using drills, motors, buffers, etc., can provide you with the best quality of work with utmost perfection. Relying on this for a customized product, gift, or large project can never go in vain.
2. By hand – This is the most comfortable and easy-to-do polish. Even if you are running short of time and don’t care about the quality much, using a hand or cloth with polish can suit you best.
Various Ways to Polish Epoxy Resin –
Based on the polish used, the ways of polishing the epoxy resin are also categorized according to the following list-
1. Simply relying on ready-made polish – There are varieties of polish available in the market which are specially designed to be used for shining the epoxy resin.
You can choose the best polish for your epoxy resin based on your preferences and choices.
Again to apply the available polish on your epoxy resin, you can accept different ways like applying by a sponge, using a machine, using a brush, etc.
2. Using home-available ingredients – Products such as talcum powder can significantly be used when polishing the surface. It may surprise you, but the fine granules of sparkles present in it give it a soft look and smooth touch.
You can apply it by hand or use a brush or cloth to coat the layers. Using glue, pre-polishing the surface with the talcum powder is chosen to let the powder sit and stay in place.
3. The kitchen ingredients to be used – Kitchen ingredients such as oils can work best to make the surface shiny due to their inherent capability of giving a greasy and polished look.
Applying oil with the brush is the most common practice I have seen, but you can also use a sponge to regulate the amount of oil you use on your epoxy resin.
4. Wax – The available wax in the market, specially made for polishing the surface of epoxy resin, works well to give the finest shiny look along with tefillin the gaps or cracks on the surface, if any.
A wax application must be prioritized using a drill or a machine to ensure wax access deep into the gaps and cracks. To get more information about how to polish epoxy resin, click here.
What is the best way to polish epoxy resin –
If you are consistent here with every word you read, you might have already got an idea about the logic behind the best way to polish epoxy resin.
The interesting point of this concept states that the best way to polish epoxy resin may vary based on your project type.
For example, if your project is large, say a tabletop, etc., opting for the machine or motor to polish your resin may work the best.
The smaller project, such as curating jewelry, charms, etc., will go hand in hand with drill machines and cloth polishing.
Applying polish by hand is the most suitable way if you really don’t care about the perfectness of your epoxy resin and just want to keep the look raw.
1 Is there any fixed time to keep polishing the surface of the epoxy resin?
There is no fixed time for you to stick on to polish your epoxy resin.
I recommend that whenever you polish your epoxy resin, make sure to polish the surface with multiple layers until you get the desired finished touch.
2. Is polishing the epoxy resins a one-time process?
Keeping in mind that nothing is permanent, polishing epoxy resin is a quick process. As everything has a deadline, the polish of epoxy resin also fades away over time.
Additionally, using home ingredients free of chemicals may give you impressive results which you would have never thought of. Still, they are more likely to last short than specially-made epoxy resin polish.
3. Which is best for my epoxy resin: colorless polish or colored polish?
Opting between a colored and colorless polish might be tough as you want your epoxy resin to shine differently and make it unique.
Although colored polish looks good with its shades and hues, colorless polish suits best for epoxy resin if you want a glossy and clear surface.
Again, it depends on your choice of project. The keychains, charms, and jewelry go best with colorless polish, while the tabletop can work in alignment with colored polish.
In this article, I hope I was able to convey that the best way of polishing totally depends on your type of project of epoxy resin casting.
The good part is you have ample options available, so you can quickly try and experiment to find out what will suit you best according to my recommendations.
Don’t forget to mention your experience with the polish of epoxy resin here in the comment section. Happy Epoxy Resin Casting! Happy Polishing!